Through a partnership with Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE (NMIT), the Incubator delivers the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS) to eligible persons in Melbourne's northern suburbs.
NEIS is a Commonwealth Government funded program administered through Australian Employment Services. It provides help to unemployed persons wishing to start a small business.
The help includes:
- 7 weeks Training in small business management, business skills and business plan development. Delivered through accredited competency based training for completion of Certificate III Business (Small Business Management) - Course BSB 40401. Training is conducted at NMIT Preston campus.
- Income support for up to 52 weeks (NEIS Allowance of approximately $14,000 per annum paid in fortnightly installments)
- Business advice and mentor support during the first year of business operation.
NEIS will help you develop a business plan as part of your training. The business plan needs to be approved before you can start your business with NEIS assistance.
The business plan will assist you if you need to approach banks or credit unions for finance. However, NEIS will not provide you with start-up funds in the form of loans or grants.
To participate in NEIS you must:
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be registered as unemployed with Centrelink.
- Be receiving a qualifying income support payment.
- Not be an undischarged bankrupt.
- Not have received NEIS assistance in the previous 2 years.
Your business must:
- Not have operated on a commercial basis before.
- Be independent, lawful and reputable.
- Not compete directly with an existing business unless an unsatisfied demand for your product or service can be shown.
- Not involve the purchase or take-over of an existing business
To obtain an application form and more information on the program email your contact details to NEIS in the North Alternatively, 'phone 03 9499 9100.
Persons out of the region should contact their local Job Network to obtain the details of their nearest NEIS Provider, or click here.